Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Enrollment for 2020-21

If your student was enrolled in the Transitional Kindergarten during the 2019-20 school year at one of our schools, please do not complete these steps. Your child is considered a returning student and should be registered for the new school year during the summer through the Parent Portal.

Children must be 5 on or before September 1, 2020 to be eligible to register for kindergarten. 

Children who turn 5 between September 2, 2020 and December 2, 2020 are eligible to register for transitional kindergarten. 

Children who turn 5 between December 3, 2020 and February 8, 2021 may register for our Early Admission Transitional Kindergarten (Wait List) program.  Enrollment applications for this program will be considered in the order received and placed into classes as space allows. 

Enrollment Information

Enrollment for any student who will be new to the Savanna School District will need to be completed online. Please visit the school boundaries link on this website to determine your child's school of residence (home school) prior to beginning the steps below. 

Step One: Complete the online pre-enrollment form

Kindergarten & Transitional Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment Form 

Step Two: Office staff from your child’s home school will contact you to set up an office visit.  

At this office visit, you will need to bring the following information (originals): 

a) Proof of birth date: Proof must be provided before the child may be admitted. One of the following documents is acceptable: original birth certificate, recorder sworn transcript, baptismal certificate, physician statement of birth, passport showing age or other valid proof of birth.

b) Proof of Residence: One of the following documents, current and dated within the last 30 days is acceptable: 

* Property Tax Payment Receipt
* Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipt
* Utility service (electric, gas, water) contract, statement, or payment receipts
* Voter Registration
* Pay Stub
* Correspondence from a government agency
* Notarized declaration of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a student

c) Immunization Records: Records must be originals, stamped by the doctor's office. The school will make a copy to keep on file, with originals returned to the parent. Parents must present proof that the following immunizations have been completed.

d) Physical Exam: All children need a health check-up before enrollment in kindergarten. California law requires children have a physical exam (health check-up) by first grade. Savanna School District requires the physical exam be completed before Kindergarten entry and will be one of the items requested as part of the enrollment process. The physical exam may be free to those who qualify through the CHDP (Child Health and Disability Prevention) program. For information call 1-800-564-8448. Parents or guardians who do not wish to obtain a physical examination for their child must come to the school office to sign a waiver. Click here to download a copy of the form

e) Dental Exam Requirement for Kindergarten Students
California law (Education Code Section 49452.8) requires that students entering the first year of public school have a dental check-up. Any dental examination completed up to 12 months before the start of kindergarten will also meet this requirement. The Oral Health Assessment form should be turned into the school as soon as possible.
Click here to download a copy of the form

Step Three: Complete the online AIR New Student Enrollment Form 

A link will be provided on or before July 2, 2020


                      Frequently asked questions

How do I enroll my child in kindergarten or transitional kindergarten?

Our enrollment process is online; you may begin the process by completing the enrollment form at Kindergarten & Transitional Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment Form

Which Savanna School District school should my child attend?

Your home school is based on your residence address. If you are not sure which school is your home school, please click here for a map.  If you need assistance, please contact the District Office at (714) 236-3800.  

I want my child to attend a school other than our school of residence.  How do I enroll?

Visit your school of residence to pick up an intra-district transfer request form. Enrollment priority is given first to children who live within the school's boundaries and then to siblings of students already enrolled. Thereafter, transfers are based on space availability. More information regarding intra-district transfers is available on the Student Transfer page.

We don’t live in Savanna School District, but I want my child to attend one of the District’s schools.  How do I enroll?

Visit the school district in which you live and request an inter-district transfer to release your child. Submit the signed release as soon as possible to the school principal of the school you would like your child to attend. Enrollment of incoming transfer students is based on space availability. Decisions on incoming inter-district transfer requests will be provided by the site principal of the school you want your child to attend. While some requests may be approved within thirty days of the application, some applications may not be approved until after the first week of school in order to determine space availability in specific grade levels at sites.  More information regarding inter-district transfers is available on the Student Transfer page.

Where do I begin with the enrollment process?

Step 1:
The first step is to begin the online pre-enrollment form.  This can be found at Kindergarten & Transitional Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment Form

What will happen once I complete the online pre-enrollment form?

Step 2:
Upon completion of the online pre-enrollment form, you will receive a phone call from your school of residence to schedule a time for you to bring in the required information including:

Proof of Birth – Original birth certificate, passport, or baptismal certificate, physician statement of birth, passport showing age or other valid proof of birth 

Proof of Residency – List of documentation required to verify residency is available here

Original immunization record stamped by the doctor’s office

Physical Exam for School Entry form

Oral Health Assessment form

Step 3:
After your meeting with the school staff, you will be directed to go back online to complete the enrollment process.  You will receive an email with information about Kindergarten Orientation that will be held at your child’s new school the week prior to the first day of school.

Where can I get more detailed information about the school district or a particular school?

District and school information is available on our websites. You can also find pertinent school information on the School Accountability Report Cards, which are posted on the School Report Card tab on each school’s website. You may also contact your school of residence regarding upcoming orientation meetings, school tours, and Open House events.